Saturday, March 24, 2018

Can I go home now?

The woman sighed. ‘Can I go home now?’

‘No.’ DC Swale lent forward. ‘Sheila Long is in intensive care because of you. Why haven’t you been caring for her?’

‘I have been.’

‘If you had, she wouldn’t be half-starved and surrounded by piss and shit.’

‘That’s nothing to do with me.’

‘You’re paid to look after her.’

‘I’m paid to clean the house.’

‘You’re employed as her carer.’

‘On a zero hour contract on minimum wage; that doesn’t cover wiping arses.’

‘You should have called social services.’

‘So you’ve already said.’

‘She was disabled. Alone.’

‘Can I go home now?’



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's a scary one, Rob. I don't want to think about how many situations like that there are...